Monday, November 26, 2012

Monday November 26, 2012

RUSSIA WEEK 1

Sooo! I am halfway around the world. Weird. But also awesome! Sorry if I don't have time to reply to all your emails, p-days are too short! Also thanks aunt Jill and Ashlyn C for the dearelders, they were a good welcome to Russia present.
So I'll start from where we left off talking to you from SLC. We flew to NYC and then took a bus to our terminal and got all checked in at the gate. Then me, elder Lambert and Elder Miller decided to go find some American food one last time. So we wandered around the terminal and finally found a burger king. As we were getting our food I looked down at my watch and thought oh crap we barely have time. So I was super nervous we were going to miss our flight, and we turn the corner to our gate and there was nobody there! Shoot. So I grabbed my bag and stuff right as the lady was saying "last call jfk to Moscow!"
Then.. We flew to Moscow which was exciting because I could hear russian chatter on the plane and stuff. We got to Moscow and at the MTC they told us the church would have someone there to take us to the embassy and get our second passports. As it turns out, that info. is outdated. So we sat by the baggage claim for an hour and a half wondering where these people were. We tried calling the mission president, which is a story in itself..
So we couldn't get the payphone to work. I mustered up enough courage to ask a russian lady if we could borrow her phone or if she could help us call this number. I thought we were having a pretty good conversation going in russian, she said she couldn't help us and then I asked one more question and she said "Ich Weisse Nicht." If you don't know what that means, I'm prett sure it means I don't know-- In German!! Haha me and elder Lambert turned around and I was like I'm pretty sure that last thing she said was in German and he said yup. So that's when I realized my russian wasn't as great as I thought it was haha..
So we basically had no idea what to do so we said a quick prayer and decided to go up to the aerofloat booth which was our airline. We got off the elevator and guess who we saw? Two old people in nametags! We were like hey are you supposed to pick us up, and they said umm no. But they were the mission president and wife of the yekaterinberg mission, just on their visa trip and happened to run into us and they knew exactly what we neded to do. Miracle! So again we were among the last to get on our flight and a few of us almost missed it but we didn't.
Next we got to Rostov, finally, and did some paperwork then went and had a nice dinner with the Prows's. They are so nice! We went straight to bed and in the morning had some training and I met my trainer, Elder Belnap from fort worth texas. He is a great trainer and missionary. I'm so glad to be his comp and we get along really well.
After training, about 7 pm saturday night we got on an overnight train to Volzhsky It was a bit rainy in rostov and so there was a group of us walking our bags in the rain to the trainstation, it reminded me of when me and dad first got to vienna looking for the hotel in the rain. Pulling luggage around in a foreign country, haha. Oh, and yeah I said 'overnight train.' I was so excited they had beds on the train because I was so dang tired! The average temperature on this particular train was 95 degrees farenheit. So perfect sleeping weather haha. And of course Russians are superstitious about drafts so we couldn't open up any windows. But I was so tired I slept well reguardless of the temperature. It was a train straight out of harry potter or polar express or something. A steam engine with little compartments of 4 beds. 
We got here in Volzhsky just after sacrament meeting ended and went to the rest of the meetings, where I could understand only 60-65 percent of what was being said and someone asked me a question during the lesson and I just looked at them like a deer in the headlights haha. Church was great though, our investigator was there. He is such an awesome investigator. He walked around church with a massive jug of mtn. dew haha. He wants to be baptized and he comes to church and everything, but his wife is against the church. Think of ways we can help him to be baptized please! The only time we meet with his wife is during english club..
Today we did some contacting in the morning, one thing that is interesting about our mission is the elders only contact men and the sisters only contact women. One of the main reasons being we are looking to find priesthood to support the branches. After contacting we helped the sisters move some things to their new apartment, went grocery shopping (I convinced my comp to buy us some Coke!) and now we're emailing. Whew.
Sorry this letter is super long, just so much is going on right now! I am so tired, last night at like 9:30 my comp went to take a shower and I figured I'd look at flashcards until he got out. That wasn't the best idea, I was asleep within seconds! Haha so I slept with my contacts in. Our apartment is actually pretty nice. The outside doesn't look super appealing, 6 story concrete building like all the home buildings here, but the inside isn't bad. I even have my own room! I'll try and send pics..
Thanks for everything, there is alot more to say but I don't have too much more time so I'll tell you one more thing. The drivers here are awesome, I swear everyone drives like they are in a high speed pursuit haha. I've never seen a bus peel-out until yesterday. So we were driving with our investigator and he was blasting Rhianna and I blinked and all of a sudden thought what the heck is going on?! I am in a car flying through the streets of Russia listening to Rhianna haha. Awesome.
So there you have it, until next week peeps. I hope everything is awesome in arizona, it sounds like you all had a good thanksgiving. Amy and mom be safe in Hawaii! Take pics for me and think of me freezing my rastafarian ne'ne's off here in Russia while you're on the beach. I love you all and miss you tons! Talk to you all on christmas.
-Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment